The expression mattress topper identifies an extra layer – normally 1″ to 3″ thick – which is put along with a mattress to create the sleep surface texture thicker and, in certain instances, cooler. Toppers can be quite valuable to single sleepers disappointed with how their mattress feels; furthermore, some toppers can be found in bigger sizes and suitable for couples.
Toppers sold now are constructed from a broad assortment of materials, such as memory foam and polyfoam, feathers, latex, and wool. The price-points vary considerably, based on the product’s content makeup, but almost all choices are a lot more affordable than purchasing a new mattress.
This guide is going to look at unique considerations for topper buyers, in addition to our picks for the best mattress topper reviews offered now. Our options are based on confirmed customer and proprietor experiences, in addition to intensive product research and investigation.
- 1 What’s a mattress topper?
- 2 Buying Guide – How to Shop for a Mattress Topper
- 3 Top Rated 9 Best Mattress Topper Brands
- 3.1 Best Overall: Sleep Innovations 4-inch Dual Layer Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper
- 3.2 Greatest Ventilated Mattress Topper – LUCID 2.5 In. Gel Infused Ventilated Memory Foam Mattress Topper with Removable Cover
- 3.3 Best Down Alternative Mattress Topper – THE DUCK AND GOOSE CO Overfilled Extra-Thick Mattress Topper Queen Size, Gel Fiber Filled Bed Topper Mattress Pad Pillowtop
- 3.4 Best for Back Pain: ViscoSoft 3 In. Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper
- 3.5 Best for Cooling: Therapedic Tru-Cool 3-Inch Queen Serene Foam Performance Mattress
- 3.6 Best California King Mattress Topper – Layla Memory Foam Topper – California King
- 3.7 Best Bamboo: Mandarin Home Collection Ultra Soft Rayon Derived from Bamboo Plush Mattress Topper
- 3.8 Best for Stomach Sleepers: Sleep On Latex Pure Green Natural Latex Mattress – Medium Firmness
- 3.9 Best for Side Sleepers: LUCID Lavender Infused 2″ Memory Foam Mattress Topper
- 4 Conclusion
What’s a mattress topper?
A mattress topper is an excess coating (typically 1″-3″ thick) which you put on top of your mattress to make it even comfier. Why is your mattress “more comfortable” generally comes down to personal taste. Ask yourself, what do you like and dislike about your mattress?
As soon as you’ve figured out that, try and locate a topper that will be able to give you a hand from the problem regions. Mattress toppers may provide you with additional pillow or softness, even if that is what you require. However, some can also make your mattress shinier.
Discovering your topper’s proper firmness can perform all sorts of valuable things like improving pressure and pain in your joints and back and help you awaken feeling refreshed. Mattress toppers come in a vast selection of materials such as feathers, memory foam, polyfoam, latex, and even wool. A few of the materials are made to help regulate body temperature as you are sleeping.
Mattress toppers are an ideal situation to invest in to make the beds in your house more comfortable. They are also useful to travel with because they are sometimes utilized in hotels, on couch beds, RV’s, and camping.
Buying Guide – How to Shop for a Mattress Topper
A topper might provide extra comfort to sleepers unsatisfied with all the comfortable coating of the present mattress. Toppers are removable with layout, although some just put on top of the mattress while some can be tucked under fitted sheets. Various kinds of toppers sold now include memory foam, wool, latex, convoluted foam, and feather versions (also referred to as featherbeds), even though cost and availability differ by kind.
This webpage will take a look at precisely what toppers perform, the pros and cons of utilizing them, and a few identifying characteristics of every topper type, in addition to strategies for incorporating and maintaining optimum comfort levels.
Who Should Consider a Mattress Topper?
A mattress topper is generally most appropriate in the following scenarios:
The mattress is too firm. The topper can produce a softer, more comfortable sleeping experience for people who prefer fewer business surfaces.
The sleeper has no control over the sleeping surface that they utilize. Toppers can provide more comfort – and in some instances, service – for individuals sleeping in school dormitories, resorts, long-term maintenance centers, along with another away-from-home lodging.
The mattress onto an RV mattress isn’t comfortable enough. RV beds frequently feature cheaper mattress versions offering minimal comfort and support, and toppers can substantially optimize those sleep surfaces.
The sleeper is remaining in another home. Toppers are perfect for guest beds, sofas, and other sleeping surfaces, which are typically booked for overnight visitors (and might not be as comfy as the guest’s main bed).
A few have different comfort preferences. A topper may alter one facet of the mattress to couples that favor different sleeping surfaces in the lack of a dual-firmness mattress.
What is the distinction between mattress toppers, pads, and protectors?
Mattress toppers are often a couple of inches thick and sit on top of your mattress. A mattress topper’s objective is to make your mattress more comfortable, whether incorporating business service or pillowtop softness.
Mattress pads are not too thick as toppers. They generally go onto your mattress, such as a fitted sheet with five sides instead of simply sitting. You won’t receive as much additional relaxation as you would using a mattress topper, but they are generally less costly and can frequently help protect your mattress from spills or stains.
Mattress protectors are made to keep your mattress protected from things like injuries, dust, and bedbugs. Toppers and pads may technically prolong the life span of your mattress by protecting it from tear and wear. Still, a protector is much more suitable if you are looking to maintain your mattress secure as it doesn’t generally have relaxation improvements. These may be five-sided (such as a mattress pad) or completely straightened to maintain the mattress protected on either side.
Pros and Cons of Using a Mattress Topper
Mattress toppers may make a massive difference for sleepers, ranging from relieving pressure and pain to making an experience that regulates body temperature. Additionally, there are less promoted pros, for example, less sound and better responsiveness for gender.
Pros of having a mattress topper on a Present mattress comprise the following:
- Improved Sleep Surface: Toppers may add relaxation to older mattress surfaces that have developed a few sagging or indentations as time passes, in addition to newer versions that are too delicate or firm because of their existing sleepers.
- More assistance: Mattresses made from materials such as memory foam or latex might help make and maintain a secure sleep surface with increased neck and back support.
- Pain and Stress Relief: Many mattress toppers, like memory foam and latex versions, conform closely to sleepers’ bodies. This helps align the spine and goal pressure points at the throat, shoulders, lower back, and buttocks.
- Double Comfort Options: For mattresses that aren’t equipped with a dual-firmness relaxation coating, a topper may be an affordable means to alter the sense of a single side while preserving the initial stability of another.
- Higher Durability: Using a mattress topper might help prolong the life span by decreasing sagging and indentations from the comfort layer.
- Mattress Protection: Even though they’re primarily meant to include extra relaxation, mattress toppers may produce a buffer that protects the surface of a mattress from stains, soiling, and bodily harm.
- Minimal Noise: Except for featherbeds, which might produce rustling sounds, mattress toppers produce little to no sound when bearing weight.
- Better Gender: Except for memory foam toppers (that can be considered less-than-ideal for gender), toppers are usually considered receptive enough for gender.
- Inexpensive Option to Replacement: Many mattress toppers price less than $200, even the costliest toppers – for example, wool and latex versions – seldom exceed $400. Because of this, employing a topper is a lot less costly than replacing the mattress entirely.
- Cooling Impact: lots of mattress toppers have gel features or alternative heating and aeration technology, which will save you from overheating at nighttime, making sure that the deeper night’s sleep.
Regardless of the advantages of utilizing a mattress topper recorded above, these products have some drawbacks. You may overestimate just how much the topper will help your sleeping position when you’ve got a mattress that seriously needs replacing. Furthermore, a few toppers might not match your mattress nicely or make it hard for you to move around freely through the night.
Here are a few of the drawbacks to watching out for:
- Fitting Issues: Mattress toppers that don’t lie openly on the sleeping surface are usually more compact than the mattress, which permits sheets to match over them. This will present two problems. One: that the sleeper might want to buy fresh sheets. 2: the topper can slide around under the sheet, based on how it’s constructed, which may cause uncomfortable bunching along with an irregular surface.
- Edge Support: Because of how toppers are somewhat smaller than mattresses, this can reduce how inviting the mattress feels around its perimeter, where folks tend to sit.
- Restricted Improvements: Though toppers can considerably improve older mattresses using some sagging or indentations, they might not be as good at altering ta mattress feel and comfort level with extensive damage.
- Off-gassing: Many topper types – especially polyfoam and memory foam models – can emit harsh off-gassing scents that finally dissipate, particularly in well-ventilated rooms, but these scents can be persistent.
- Sleeping Hot: Toppers made from wool or feathers tend to sleep quite trendy, but memory foam, fiber, and latex versions tend to keep high body warmth and sleep slightly hot as an outcome.
- Difficult to Transfer: The ordinary duvet weighs at least seven or eight pounds, and also a few topper types – like latex – frequently weigh over 20 lbs. This may make them hard to move and move through the night, particularly if they’re tucked under fitted sheets.
- High Maintenance: Mattress toppers are seldom machine washable and typically need to be dry or spot washed by hand. Some toppers, like featherbeds, also need constant fluffing to keep proper loft.
Important Considerations for Topper Shoppers
Then let us look at a few of the key factors to Remember when shopping for a mattress topper and surfing different kinds, brands, and versions:
- Material: Various mattress topper materials provide different comfort adventures. Memory foam and latex conform closely to the sleeper’s body to improve spinal alignment and pressure relief. Wool and feather toppers don’t conform as closely, which generates less resistance for individuals moving along with this mattress, and they also sleep slightly warmer. Shoppers should find out more about every mattress topper type’s properties since they relate to their sleeping requirements and tastes.
- Thickness: Mattress toppers can quantify anywhere from 1 to 4 inches thick. The depth of a duvet should correspond to the mattress. If the mattress is much too business for your sleeper, then a milder topper will be required to correct the comfort level efficiently.
- Thinner toppers could be appropriate if minor changes are necessary. Additionally, it’s essential to be aware that thicker convoluted memory foam, memory foam, and latex versions tend to sleep slightly hotter than thinner versions.
- Density: Much like depth, the grade of a mattress topper corresponds to additional performance variables. High-density memory foam toppers, for example, provide far better advantage support and adapt nearer than low-density foam toppers; nonetheless, high-density versions also often sleep warmer, produce more odor, rather than be good for intercourse.
- Firmness: Normally speaking, firmer toppers are best for sleepers who locate their mattress too soft, while milder toppers work well on excessively firm surfaces. But a topper may also improve the stability of a mattress that is older. For example, a medium-firm topper used in addition to a medium-firm mattress might help preserve the sleep surface while maintaining the sleeper’s wanted firmness degree.
- Durability: Though lifespan varies by design, many Latex, memory foam, and wool mattress toppers are considered rather durable and will function for many years without excess sagging or indenting. Feather and fiber toppers, on the other hand, tend to have below-average strength.
- Motion Isolation: Toppers made from latex or foam tend to absorb movement and isolate it into particular mattress regions, which can help lessen sleep disruptions. Feather, fibers, and wool toppers provide minimum movement isolation by comparison.
- Allergy Possible: Some topper substances, such as feathers or latex, may cause allergies in certain sleepers. Other topper substances, like wool and fibers, are sterile and shouldn’t cause allergies to flare up.
Top Rated 9 Best Mattress Topper Brands
Best Overall: Sleep Innovations 4-inch Dual Layer Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper
Maybe the very best mattress topper available in the industry at this time is your Sleep Innovations Gel Foam Foam 4-inch Double Layer Mattress Topper. This exceptional product combines two hot mattress topper styles into one, causing a super-comfy topper, which may help maintain your mattress in prime form.
What is unique about this product is that it unites a 2-inch gel memory foam coating under 2 inches of cozy quilted fiberfill. By combining both of these substances, it provides unparalleled comfort, in addition to pressure-relieving support and temperature regulation. Additionally, a machine-washable cover retains both layers set up, which means you don’t need to fret about allergens building upon the topper.
The Sleep Innovations Mattress Topper can help decrease body aches because of its pressure point relief while providing a pillow surface for one to sleep. What is not to adore?
Greatest Ventilated Mattress Topper – LUCID 2.5 In. Gel Infused Ventilated Memory Foam Mattress Topper with Removable Cover
This 2.5-inch mattress topper is a superb bargain and comes in an assortment of sizes such as Twin, Twin XL, Full, Full XL, Queen, King, and California King.
Regardless of what size mattress you’ve got, the LUCID 2.5 Inch Gel Infused Ventilated Memory Foam Mattress Topper with Removable Cover includes a topper for you! This compact 2.5″ thick gel-infused memory foam mattress topper catches and distributes your body heat to keep you friendly and relaxed as you are sleeping.
Its ventilated design increases airflow that could modulate your sleeping temperature for extra comfort. Clients love the soft, removable cover, which could be handily machine washed. The Open-Cell technology employed in this mattress topper can guarantee it does not hold on indentations and will help keep it bouncing back for a long time to come. Included with your purchase is a three-year guarantee for extra reassurance.
- 3 inches of ventilated gel memory foam adds softness and pressure-relieving comfort to your mattress at the shoulders, hips and knees
- Special memory foam formula is extremely soft, airy and responsive
- Ventilated design improves airflow for a more comfortable sleep climate
- Memory foam is infused with a plush gel material that captures heat to control temperature
- New foam scent is normal and will dissipate over the first 48 hours after opening; This product features a 3-year warranty
Best Down Alternative Mattress Topper – THE DUCK AND GOOSE CO Overfilled Extra-Thick Mattress Topper Queen Size, Gel Fiber Filled Bed Topper Mattress Pad Pillowtop
See why more than five million people love this airy and light mattress topper, which aisa a fantastic alternative to critters. As an additional bonus, this topper does a tremendous job of insulating material and regulating body warmth, making it a fantastic selection for sexy sleepers.
The Duck and Goose Co Overfilled Extra-Thick Mattress Topper have thousands upon thousands of rave reviews on the web. It is a versatile topper that could do the job nicely for a vast assortment of people and comes in a vast selection of sizes such as twin, all of the way around California king.
This extra-thick two” mattress topper is the ideal selection for anybody who’s looking to cozy up to their mattress and provide a little additional cushion. With its overfilled 1400GSM super soft down option Gel-Fiber, this topper provides excellent support while staying soft and comfy. The best of both worlds.
The downward option filling that can be utilized in this product is a superb selection for virtually all allergy sufferers who can not manage animals. The synthetic down utilized within this topper doesn’t keep body heat like memory foam can, making it a fantastic selection for sexy sleepers.
This topper is designed to stay put in your mattress due to its Anchor bands, which may fit mattresses all of the ways from 6″ to 22″ thick, so you don’t need to be worried about it popping from your mattress. For easier convenience and care, set the topper on your tumble dryer to fluff it up before putting it on your mattress.
To guarantee you have your topper for a long time to come, wash it bi-annually and ensure the sheet always protects it. Always wash the product in a front-loading device in cool water. Be sure that you never use a high loader machine since the agitator can destroy the fibers.
- 4 inches of thick, plush gel memory foam add a soft and conforming feel that will result in a deeper sink that cradles your body more than a thinner topper
- Infused with gel material that captures and distributes heat for a cooler memory foam experience
- Ventilated design improves airflow and breathability
- Memory foam distributes weight evenly and conforms to curves to alleviate pressure points
- New foam scent is normal and will dissipate over the first 48 hours after opening; this product features a 3-year warranty
Best for Back Pain: ViscoSoft 3 In. Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper
If you are sleeping with the old mattress, it might be causing you to experience back pain, but for many folks, a brand new mattress is not in the budget. You may help relieve your night pains and aches, but with a product such as the ViscoSoft 3 Inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper.
This high-density memory foam product is intended to help keep your spine in proper alignment, helping prevent pain during the evening and in the daytime.
This mattress topper is 3 inches thick and made from gel-infused memory foam that contours to your body as you sleep, relieving pressure points while maintaining your spine in an ergonomic posture. Moreover, the gel will maximize airflow throughout the topper, allowing your body warmth to escape so that you won’t get overly hot.
The topper has a sterile bamboo rayon cover, which you may wash in the washing machine, and this product is well worth every cent, as it helps reduce back pain while providing you a great night of sleep.
Best for Cooling: Therapedic Tru-Cool 3-Inch Queen Serene Foam Performance Mattress
If you would like a mattress pad that makes your mattress a comfortable place to sleep and keeps you cool immediately, the Therapedic Tru-Cool is the choice. This foam mattress pad supports its own body without pushing it in awkward places. And when your spouse gets up in the middle of the night, it is no problem. The memory foam topper will consume some of their motion, which means that you won’t be bothered by their turning and throwing.
The 3-inch topper is coated in a breathable performance fabric that wicks away your perspiration to help keep you feeling cool during the night too. The topper’s unique sort of foam also dissipates heat faster than many others so that your body will stay cooler when you eventually attain that deep-sleep stage.
- 2-inch memory foam mattress topper with targeted zones to maximize comfort; Zoning pattern may vary
- Memory foam is infused with cooling gel and textured to improve breathability
- Raised zones alleviate pressure at the different contact points of the body
- Premium memory foam is extremely soft, airy, and responsive
- New foam scent is normal and will dissipate over the first 48 hours after opening; this product features a 3-year warranty
Best California King Mattress Topper – Layla Memory Foam Topper – California King
This foam copper-gel-infused mattress topper can turn your California King bed into a gigantic cloud that’s guaranteed to keep you cool and comfortable all night long!
The Layla Memory Foam Topper – California King, is a super luxurious 2″ thick copper-gel-infused memory foam mattress cover that’s intended to keep you cool and pleasant as you are sleeping. The aluminum gel beads within this foam topper perform a superb job of massaging your body warmth, literally pulling away from the heat from you to make you comfortable while you are sleeping.
Should you suffer from painful joints, you will love how reassuring this particular memory foam topper is also, developing a lavish layer that you could sink while cradling pressure points such as your shoulders and buttocks.
- 2 inch thick memory foam mattress topper adds softness and comfort to an existing mattress
- Memory foam infused with lavender scent, known for its natural calming and relaxation benefits
- Ventilated design for improved breathability; foam is CertiPUR-US certified for highest standards of safety and performance
- All three profiles have the same feel, but a thicker topper will result in a deeper sink that cradles your body more than a thinner topper
- New foam scent is normal and will dissipate over the first 48 hours after opening; this product features a 3-year warranty
Best Bamboo: Mandarin Home Collection Ultra Soft Rayon Derived from Bamboo Plush Mattress Topper
Another popular material for mattress toppers is bamboo, which can be tender, elastic, and environmentally friendly. If that appeals to you, you ought to take in the Mandarin Home Collection Plush Mattress Topper, which can be crafted from organic rayon derived from plants.
This product is created of a combination of microfiber and bamboo-based rayon, making a remarkably soft, plush cloth that will regulate the body temperature during the evening. It is full of a hypoallergenic down alternative for a plush sleeping surface, and as an additional bonus, it may be washed in the washing machine.
Best for Stomach Sleepers: Sleep On Latex Pure Green Natural Latex Mattress – Medium Firmness
The very best mattress topper for stomach sleepers provides more stability instead of a softer sleeping surface. A company topper will stop your shoulders and shoulders from sinking and straining your back. A fantastic alternative if you’re a stomach sleeper would be your Pure Green 100% Organic Latex Mattress Topper, which provides extra-firm support and fantastic breathability.
This 2-inch topper is made of natural latex, and this is proven to function as an equally breathable cooling system and eco-friendly. This company style is healthy and inviting, yet comfortable, which makes it ideal for tummy sleepers. You might come across that this mattress topper helps reduce back pain and provides the ideal quantity of support.
- Plush, therapeutic memory foam helps eliminate pressure point pain
- Memory foam supports lower back, allowing spine to stay neutral
- Naturally hypoallergenic, memory foam resists bacterial growth for a clean sleep environment
- Infused bamboo charcoal helps regulate moisture, temperature, and odor
Best for Side Sleepers: LUCID Lavender Infused 2″ Memory Foam Mattress Topper
If you sleep on your side, a product such as the LUCID 2″ Lavender Foam Mattress Topper can allow you to get the most comfortable night’s rest. This 2-inch blossom memory foam mattress topper includes five body zones to optimize comfort and support with this sleeping place.
The LUCID mattress topper includes textured zones that allow your shoulders and buttocks to sink to the mattress as you sleep on your side, reducing strain to avoid turning and tossing. Furthermore, it’s infused with a lavender scent, which can help lull you off to sleep. The odor can be somewhat strong initially, but complete; the foam is remarkably inviting and comfy.
Discovering the best mattress covers comes down to figuring out precisely what your mattress is lacking and filling in these gaps. You will find many fantastic mattress toppers on the market for a massive array of uses, and you are guaranteed to get the appropriate choice to fit your requirements.
Some people today want additional support, some people today desire more cushion, and a few need aid to stay cool at nighttime. Regardless of what you’re searching for, we expect this listing of our best picks for the best mattress toppers is now a tiny bit easier to locate the appropriate choice for your requirements. Happy sleeping!
Video: Testing Amazon Mattress Toppers – BLIND TEST!
Last update on 2020-12-09 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API